I do a lot of email counseling. I spend a great deal of time talking with moms about their pregnancies, deliveries and babies. Watching this, someone suggested I charge for my services. (Sarah would look straight into my face and say, "I've been telling you that for years!")
One of Meghann's friends had a baby a couple of weeks ago and needed some nursing help, so we Skyped and I was able to diagnose not only a suck issue, but also that the baby had thrush by looking into her mouth and seeing her diaper rash. All from 1500 miles away.
A Facebook Friend sent me to a couple of Cyber Lactation Consulting sites and my idea was validated. I created cyber-Ask a Midwife.
Here's what it looks like:
Let a webcam connect you to a Licensed & Certified Professional Midwife. SERVICES ARE FREE!
Do you have questions about your pregnancy?
Do you need someone to talk to about your last birth?
Are you struggling with breastfeeding and need someone to help?
Barbara E. Herrera, LM, CPM is available to meet with you no matter where you live. Via Skype, she will meet and help you with your questions.
- exploring the idea of a birth center or home birth
- answering questions about tests or procedures during pregnancy
- deciphering medical records
- developing a birth plan
- role playing as preparation for care provider discussions
- talking about birth experiences
- processing negative birth experiences
- asking for clarification about a labor or birth
- is this labor?
- exploration regarding a VBAC
- talking to family & friends about your birth experience
- untangling breastfeeding problems using the webcam to see what is happening
- help with a crying baby
- might I have postpartum depression?
- is my baby sick?
- private help learning what everyone else seems to already know
- having a knowledgeable woman who never gets tired of talking about birth and babies
- student midwives who need more information
- apprentices needing to process a difficult birth experience
- midwives who want to have a private Peer Review
Barb cannot dispense specific medical advice, but can offer educated information to help you make decisions for yourself. Her role is to give you the tools to help long after the call has ended. If indicated, she will refer you to your midwife, doctor, the baby’s pediatrician or even the Emergency Room.
And, as always, check with your own provider with any questions or concerns.
CLICK HERE (NavelgazingMidwife@gmail.com)
Barb is glad to email her to let you know of your kindness. (Please include the recipients email address in your note to Barb.)
Donations are welcome via PayPal to Barbara E. Herrera, LM, CPM
I'm excited to see where this goes!