On my Facebook Page, I dropped a link to this piece, “Journal Article Review – Bipedalism and Parturition: An Evolutionary Imperative for Cesarean Delivery?”, an article about (just what it says) walking around on two legs and does that fact make it more likely that we’d eventually need to deliver our babies (at least more of them) by cesarean section. It’s an awesome piece and the comments have, for the most part, been great… Creationists aside. Well, their comments are interesting. Hard to believe people still think like this, but who am I to poo poo another person’s religion.
Along the thread comes this doula who says, and I quote verbatim:
“This is the most insidious article I have ever read and it figures that it was written by a man with a penis who will never experience childbirth. Fact: only 3% of women in the US actually need a Ceasarean due to try complications. In most cases they are performed out of laziness and impatience on the hospitals and docs part. And insurance companies, lest we not forget those bureaucratic jackasses.”
I couldn’t help laughing outloud, but what I wrote was:
“Where did you come up with only 3% of women need a cesarean? I have NEVER seen that number in 30 years of birth work. Source, please.”
And this was her answer, again quoted verbatim:
“I got the stat in an article I just read, I will find it and repost. In my experience with my clients he need for C/S deliveries is 0 with home births and about 2% for hospital deliveries. The procedure has skyrocketed unneccisarliy.”
My short answer to that was:
“So, <Doula’s Name>, how many births have you been to? 4? Talk to me when you've been to the 900 or so I have, then we'll see what "your" cesarean rate is.
You have a LOT to learn, young lady. Your arrogance is going to bite you in the ass and I hope you will then learn some humility.
And quoting ONE FREAKIN' ARTICLE that said the c/s rate shouldn't be above 3% is the height of gullibility. Do you not know discernment? It scares me there are doulas like you out there.”
What is this doula teaching her clients? What is she saying to women all around her? Spouting off her amazing statistics without so much as any qualification of how she got to that number.
I started thinking, “How could I get a 0% c/s rate at home and a 2% for hospital births?”
- I could have only attended 5 births.
- I could take only clients that have had babies born vaginally before and are truly low-risk in this pregnancy.
- I could lie about my statistics.
There are so many parts to her comments that annoy me, it’s hard to just pick out a couple. But, I’ll try.
- If we are to believe she’s been to at least 100-200 births to even get a somewhat valid number, “her” 2% hospital birth cesarean rate is incredible considering the cesarean rate in hospitals. Is she so magical that when she is there her clients miraculously avoid the operating room? If she is that magical, she should be teaching courses all over the world so the rest of us can know her secrets.
- If you throw out the word “Fact,” you better have a buttload more than one article to point to and, at the very least, one you can put your finger on at a second’s notice. That she even had to look for it stuns me.
Note to doulas and other birth workers: Just because you want it so badly you can taste it, doesn’t make it so. If you repeat crap others say, even others who proclaim they are (or who are heralded as) experts in birth, you best be able to back up your beliefs. Sure, statistics can be skewed, but looking deeply into anything touted as real and true will probably give you a much clearer picture of what you’re talking about.
No one… NO ONE… in this community has The Answer. If she did, it would be headline news.