Babywearing is the act of carrying your child around with you for great amount of time while being comfortable doing so. Some parents view this as an excess of attention. However, babywearing can have a great deal of personal and sociological practicality. There are many reasons why babywearing is an ideal form of raising your child, none of which has implications towards spoiling. In fact, babywearing can be greatly beneficial to solidifying the link between yourself and your child.
1. Comfort - From the moment the child exits the womb, he or she is going to need constant reassurance that everything is OK. This is a new world to him or her and having the presence of your body against the child's can help alleviate anxiety he or she may be experiencing. Since every circumstance is a new experience, the child needs that confirmation that you are present and will protect him or her from harm.
2. Ease of Feeding - For those who have babywearing clothing, breast feeding in a public place is so subtle that no one even realizes what is going on. Without having to fight straps or ties, you can cover your child while he or she feeds under the protection of a babywearing satchel. Since these are wrapped around your shoulders, your hands are free to go about your business while providing the support your baby needs. It's like having an extra set of hands holding your child.
3. Ease of Mind - There is a great relief of stress when you feel the weight of your child pressed against your body. Not only is it calming for your child, but it helps you calm down as well knowing your child is safe and secure. Some mothers have even mentioned how babywearing has eased some of the tension from separation anxiety. Children are not the only ones who can become anxious when away from the parent.
4. Less Fussy - Children that are snuggled against their mothers are inherently less fussy. This can be a benefit for instances while in public places such as movie theaters or restaurants. The less fussy your child is, the more everyone enjoys the situation. Although you may still need to cut the movie a bit short in order to deal with a dirty diaper, breast feeding during the movie or simply holding your child isn't as burdensome physically as it would be otherwise.
5. Hands-free - Being hands free whether you're in public or at home is a blessing to many parents. Babywearing can allow you to continue with most of your day-to-day activities without having to stop and care for your child. Although it may sound like it's a bit of a lazy approach to parenting, you are providing your child with the safety of being close to you while being able to complete various tasks.
You don't have to carry your child around with you until he or she is old enough to drive. However, the additional attention when he or she is between the infant and toddler stage can greatly improve the bond that many parents would be jealous over. As there are many ways you can carry a child in this fashion, comfort for yourself is not an issue. Isn't the prospect of starting off your relationship with your child strong a reason to investigate the possibility of babywearing?
Rachel is an ex-babysitting pro as well as a professional writer and blogger. She is a graduate from Iowa State University and currently writes for www.babysitting.net. She welcomes questions/comments which can be sent to rachelthomas.author @ gmail.com.